Our great ancestors knew that dandelion greens, flowers or roots contain many medicinal substances – however, what they certainly didn’t know at the time is that dandelion root may help prevent or reduce several health problems.
Believe it or not, dandelions are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and other healing nutrients that typically take a back seat to the plant’s reputation as a pesky weed.
In short, dandelion is healthy as it:
- Cleanse your liver, kidneys and gall bladder
- Helps digestion
- Combats cysts, cancer, various tumors
- Reduces constipation pain
- Combats allergies, rheumatism and arthritis
- Relaxes body and mind
- Reduces cholesterol
- Useful in menopause and during pregnancy
To get the dandelion's health benefits, either you make a tea or a syrup made from its roots, flowers and leaves.
- Method # 1
2. Chopped and minced the dried leaves.
3. You only need half a teaspoon of the chopped leaves.
4. Add to a glass of warm water and let it set for 5 minutes.
- Method # 2
2. Leave it to boil and simmer for around 20 minutes and strain the liquid afterwards. You can take up to three glasses a day.
This recipe requires 400 yellow dandelion flowers, 4 sliced oranges and 4 sliced lemons, all put together in 3 liters of water.
Let the mixture stay for 24 hours after which you can add 2 cups of sugar, and cook it for around 30 minutes. Remove from heat when the mixture gets thick.
Let it cool then store the mixture in a sealed container.
You can use this dandelion syrup for regular coughs and colds or even bronchitis.