You can find it here – basic information about cancer and its causes to in-depth information on specific cancer types including early detection, risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options.
Cancer is not just one disease. There are many types of cancer. Cancer can start in the lungs, the breast, the colon, or even in the blood. Cancers are alike in some ways, but they are different in the ways they grow and spread.
Cancer is when the cells start to grow out of control. The cancer cells keep on growing and making new cells. They crowd out normal cells. This causes problems in the part of the body where the cancer started.
Cancer cells can also spread to other parts of the body. For instance, cancer cells in the lung can travel to the bones and grow there. When cancer cells spread, it’s called metastasis (meh-TAS-tuh-sis).
When lung cancer spreads to the bones, it’s still called lung cancer. To doctors, the cancer cells in the bones look just like the ones from the lung. It’s not called bone cancer unless it started in the bones.
Most cancers form a lump called a tumor or a growth. But not all lumps are cancer. Doctors take out a piece of the lump and look at it to find out if it’s cancer.
Don’t just do routine checks now and then. Also look for strange body signs and see odd or different things and changes.
20 Cancer Signs That You Should Never Ignore
- Wheeze/short breaths - this is for lung cancer.
- Cough and chest pains - some cancer types like lung and leukemia, make cough a sign that often occurs. It looks like cough or bronchitis but it is more. Also the chest pain might go from the chest to the shoulder and down the arm.
- Fevers and infection - these could be leukemia since blood cells are affected in the marrow itself. Leukemia makes the marrow create sick blood cells that take all your immunity.
- Hard swallowing - troubles to swallow means throat or esophageal cancer or lung cancer.
- Swelling in lymph nodes or neck/armpit/groin - large lymph nodes mean the lymph system could be with cancer.
- More bruising/bleeding than usual - this could mean red blood cells and platelets are affected and is leukemia. Also, leukemia with time overpasses the red blood cells and steals the oxygen flow.
- Weakness/fatigue - this can be various things. Like many cancer types. Look for other signs with it. If you are rested but still feel this way, see a doctor.
- Bloating and belly weight - women with ovary cancer have had bloated belly and for a longer time.
- Satiety and less appetite - another sign of ovary cancer. Women eat less and don’t need to eat more.
- Pelvic pain and abdomen pain - this means ovary cancer as we mentioned. Leukemia also causes this due to larger spleen.
- Blood in stool/rectum - this is clearly colorectal cancer and means you need urgent colonoscopy.
- Strange weight loss - this could be colon cancer or digestion tract cancer. Means the cancer is now in the liver and the appetite is impaired with this so the body cannot handle waste properly.
- Upset belly - cramps mean colorectal cancer maybe.
- Red, swollen and sore breasts - obviously, breast cancer.
- Nipple change - common breast cancer sign. Nipples get inverted, flat or sideways.
- Heavy and aching periods or abnormal in between periods - this is probably uterus cancer so an ultra sound is needed (transvaginal).
- Swollen face - some patients of lung cancer said they have puffy and swollen faces or red faces. This means small lung tumors block blood flow inside the chest and to the face.
- Sore skin change or crusty sore - this could be skin cancer and could be; basal cell carcinoma, melanoma, or squamous cell carcinoma. Check the whole body and nails too.
- Nail changes - nail changes might be lung cancer (tipped over the finger nails) or skin cancer with spots or streaks brown and black, under the nail. Pale and whitish nails are liver cancer.
- Lower back and right side pain - by patients, this might be liver cancer. Also breast cancer makes this pain due to the positioning and pressing of the tumor in the chest or if the cancer has affected the ribs already.
Source: Holistic Living