Most of us throw away banana peels, without knowing that it can do something to our waistline. In fact, half of a banana’s nutrients are found in the peel.
However, in many parts of the world banana peels are eaten all the time. Some folks have even found interesting ways to make use of the peel. And now people are discovering that banana peels can also help with weight loss.
How Banana Peel Helps You Lose Weight
The flesh of a medium-sized banana contains key nutrients that can help manage weight:
- 12% of your daily fiber, which helps with digestion and may help lower your risk of diabetes.
- 17% of your vitamin C, which is essential for your immune system.
- 20% of your vitamin B-6, which aids the body’s ability to convert food into energy.
- 2% of your potassium, which helps in development of cells, tissues, and organs throughout the body.
- 8% of your magnesium, which is important for the body’s energy production and regulating glucose, as well as blood pressure levels.
Eating the peels together with the flesh will give you more of these valuable nutrients. Furthermore, banana peels are known to have a huge amounts of vitamin B6 and B12, as well as magnesium. It also contains fiber and protein.
Green or Yellow?
When it comes to weight loss, green banana is your best option. They contain more probiotics, which are great for helping your digestive health. Plus, green peels can help raise serotonin and dopamine levels, which can make you feel good. This can help you manage emotional eating.
However, you can still use a yellow banana for weight loss if you prefer something sweeter.
Ways to Eat Banana Peel?
Usually, all fruit peels are known to contain higher concentration levels of phytonutrients and they actually make them taste bitter. But, there are some delicious ways to eat them.
1. You can cut both of the ends of the peel and throw them into your smoothie. Add any other ingredients you like.
2. You can boil the peels and prepare banana tea.
3. You can use banana peels for curry instead of potatoes.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Before eating banana peels, make sure it is organic so that you can reduce your exposure to pesticides. And be sure to wash them thoroughly before use.
Source: World Health Guide